How to use F# on Raspberry Pi

As I want to explore the usability of F# on a Raspberry Pi, I’m looking for a way of using VisualStudio to develop and Pi for remote debugging with VisualStudio.

I want to evaluate if timing and memory usage would be suitable for a medium “not so very” realtime project. Is it simply way out, or can F# be used under some constraints?

I’ve seen several recommendations for W10 or some Linux on Pi, but am unsure, which way to follow. Is Mono a possible way ?

Is there a “Best Practice” or some experiences I could use for my project ?

A timing and memory diagnostic application for F# could be a short or long project. Comparatively, one of F#'s main features is that it reduces dependencies on computational abstracts “extra ugly and wierd symbols and stuff” and this certainly will effect the outcome of an application in terms of timing and memory usage.

this is not my intent.

I am using F# on windows a lot, know it’s advantages and like it much.

I’m looking for an easy way to install a runtime for F# and C# someway on Pi, develop a small test app on PC with VS, transport it to Pi and debug it remotely from VS.

Then, I can evaluate memory size and latency via software or even with special hardware, using GPIO pins for input and output and logic analyzer, to get an first impression of these figures.

I’m aware that I cannot await very much realtime behaviour, let alone garbage collection, but I hope to reach sub second for a plain, no number crunching test app, input → state machine → output turnaround should be doable.

I’ve seen it. You can do it.