Foundation, Microsoft, Donation

Hi,

I just noticed today that the Fsharp foundation accepts donations
For me, this raises few questions

F#, although open source, is still a product owned or at least supported and actively developed by Microsoft a multi billion dollar company

Don Syme, the creator of Fsharp is a Microsoft employee, and there seem to be a team at Microsoft dedicated for Fsharp

So why should I donate to the Fsharp foundation?
Where does the money go?
How much is Microsoft contributing?
By donating to the Fsharp foundation, am I implicitly donating to Microsoft?
If there was an answer on the website, I missed it, so probably it should be highlighted better

Thank you

Some answers to your questions, take them as a grain of salt:

So why should I donate to the Fsharp foundation?

I’ll reduce this down to one point: if you agree with the mission of the FSSF. All actions the organization takes stem from that. If you agree and wish to help fund some efforts (e.g., the diversity program), then donating is one way to help those efforts.

Where does the money go?

@reedcopsey can speak more to this, but it’s also worth noting that there is a yearly report. This year’s report includes explanations on how expenses of the FSSF went up to fund various programs.

How much is Microsoft contributing?

No idea, and I’m not sure if anyone is at liberty to say (I’m not an expert in the law around contributions like this).

By donating to the Fsharp foundation, am I implicitly donating to Microsoft?

Both Microsoft and the FSSF promote F#, and are distinctly different entities. Donating to the FSSF does not mean you are donating to Microsoft.

8 Likes

checkout this link