F# for early adopters and universities

Hello everyone! I’ve been learning F# for a couple of months and I think that the language is Fantastic!
I have a programming experience in Java mostly (I never liked the language), but I feel like F# made me love programming again. I wish more people would be interested in F#.

My question is how F# community can put more effort in convincing universities/colleges/etc. to use as F# as a teaching language (first programming language or first functional programming language)?
I see that only a small number of colleges/universities use F# as a teaching language - Teaching F# | The F# Software Foundation

It’s ok to keep trying to convince existing Java/Python/C# developers to use F# (which is a very Difficult to do) or introduce some new “hot” language feature, but focusing on finding Early Adopters among Hundreds if not Thousands of college(or even high school) students can be a very Good strategy too.

I think the concept of functional programming is much easier to learn for the most of college(or even high school)students, because they’re familiar with a concept of “function”. I guess, that’s could be a good selling point for F#.

On contrary, OOP concepts like constructors, encapsulation, instances, etc. would be much harder to learn for novice.

I believe that some of university students/ graduates would like to use F# at work or contribute to the F# community.
And some of them would even start their own companies and would like to hire F# developers too.

So, it will definitely help the F# community :slight_smile:
Thank you!

1 Like

Hi

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you need to be more critical in your thinking
While all F# users want it to be more popular, not everything is achievable

Universities use certain languages for teachings, either because they are the most popular (Java, C#, Python, C, C++)
Or because they are easy to teach (Python, Pascal)
Or for historical reasons (some courses will teach lisp for example, because historically they always did)

I would not be surprised to see F# used in a Functional Programming course

I think the best way to promote F# today is to

1. Contribute to open source F# Projects (F# Community Projects | The F# Software Foundation)
  2. Use F# at work if possible (if they are already use .Net at work, pushing an F# project should not be too hard)
  3. Talk about it, on twitter, in your blog, in this forum, on the discord server
  4. Make a youtube video
1 Like