Parallel in C#?

I know we can do async stuff with let! and use! but is there a F# way of performing a set of operations in parallel (like Parallel.For(...) & Parallel.ForEach(...) in C#)?

You can use the Array.Parallel module for things like map and iter. Thereā€™s also nuget packages for ParallelSeq and (highly recommended) the Nessos Streams library, which is a high-performance sequence library with support for parallelism.

1 Like

@BanksySan I have made very good use of the PSeq module. Once you install the FSharp.Collections.ParallelSeq nuget package, sometimes itā€™s just as easy as changing ā€œSeq.iterā€ to ā€œPSeq.iterā€, and viola: 8 times as fast (for instance). YMMV. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Going with @ScottHutchinson here. PSeq is dead simple to use and gets you pretty far rather quickly. If you want to invest a bit of time to learn a new concept Hopac is also a really nice way to write concurrent programs. Here is a row of very good blog posts describing the library.

2 Likes

For serious stuff I recommend Akka Streams (there is a nice F# wrapper, Akkling).

1 Like

More answers there than I expected.
Why would one chose one over another?

TL;DR: because this topic can be quite complex. Choose the library/pattern that suits your present needs the best.

Because there are many strategies to solve concurrency problems. What you choose depends on many different factors:

• Do you mind to introduce additional dependencies to your project?
  • Do you have a concurrency model you are already familiar with?
  • Do you have special constraints which hinder you to choose a special concurrency model?

If you ā€˜justā€™ want to have a drop-in replacement for your Seq.map operations (and operations that fall in the same category of general sequence processing) and you donā€™t mind the extra dependency PSeq is more than enough.

If you donā€™t want to have extra dependencies @swlaschin wrote a blog post on ā€˜simpleā€™ asynchronous and parallel processing patterns in F# which you can find here.

If youā€™d like to try out a concurrency pattern that is based on ConcurrentML Hopac is the way to go.

If you (or someone on your team) has a background (or interest) in agent/actor models you can either use the included MailboxProcessor or - as @vaskir recommended - you go to Akka.NET, which offers you a lot of extras.

Concurrent and asynchronous programming is a quite complex topic (also a reason why there are so many abstractions and libraries to make these tasks manageable). If you are looking for a good book in the .NET realm (with examples in C# and F#) this might interest you.

2 Likes

When using the async apiā€™s donā€™t forget you can use Async.Parallel : seq<Async<'T>> -> Async<'T []> Thatā€™s pretty much equivalent to Parallel.ForEach of system threading. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/visualfsharpdocs/conceptual/async.parallel['t]-method-[fsharp]